10 questions with… Ellen Worgan

ellen-worgan_1410x743

Ellen Worgan started her role as Junior Science Academy (Schools) Manager in January 2023.

After completing her Bachelor of Science (Biomolecular science) and Diploma of Education at Macquarie in in 2013, she worked as a high school science teacher in Australia and the United Kingdom for nine years.

Working in the public education system was a wonderful experience that gave Ellen the chance to meet an incredibly diverse range of students and help them discover how science connects people with each other and the world.

“I loved teaching, but I was also interested in looking at other ways of engaging people with science, so I now work for the Junior Science Academy, which runs science programs for school-age children. My role is to deliver science incursions and excursions for schools (pre-school to high school level), which we’ve just started doing this year,” she says.

1. Something you’d like staff to know about

The Junior Science Academy (JSA) is offering school programs. If you know a teacher or school wanting to get their students excited about science, let them know. 

JSA is also running a school holiday program from 25 September to 6 October where primary school-aged children can learn STEM based topics in a fun and interactive environment.

2. Something you feel proud of

Our team recently piloted our primary school incursions that explore chemical reactions, electricity and coding, and our educators did a brilliant job.

3. What you need to do your best work

A clean desk, a cup of tea and a window.

4. Something people usually ask you when they find out what you do for a living

I often hear, “Oh, I hated science at school”, which is the experience JSA wants to change!

5. Something you’ve read recently that has had an impact on you

Braiding Sweetgrass by Robin Wall Kimmerer. This book is a beautiful exploration of how Indigenous knowledges and science interact and can strengthen each other.

6. A favourite photo from your camera roll

In January I got to live my dream of visiting Antarctica – kayaking through the sea ice past penguins and leopard seals was truly a life highlight.

ellen_fave-pic_1410x743

7. Your definition of success

Finding the right balance of purpose and rest.

8. A website or app you can’t live without (and why)

FaceTime, to talk to friends scattered around the world.

9. A personal quality you value in others

Kindness and care for other people.

10. I’m happiest when…

I’m out walking or I’m reading with my cat on my lap.