“My life plans were 100 per cent changed,” says Regional and Remote Support Scholarship student

27june_advancement_web2_smaller

When asked to describe life in his hometown of Broken Hill, fourth-year Bachelor of Business student Bailey Beattie speaks with affectionate candour.

“There’s a lot of red dirt, a couple of pubs, and not much to do,” he says. “It was always my plan to move away. But going to uni didn’t really come into the picture. It’s far away, it’s expensive, and not many people know how to navigate what’s required to move to a bigger city to study on your own.”

Thanks to Bailey’s hard work and the intervention of his AFL coach and school careers advisor (“He told me that dreaming of playing footy wasn’t enough – I needed to get a university degree”), Bailey was successful in securing a Regional and Remote Support Scholarship for study at Macquarie University.

“My scholarship 100 per cent changed my life plans and my future,” he says. “There’s still no place like home, but it’s changed my view of where I can go and what I can do in the world.”

Read more of Bailey’s story >

This tax time, consider supporting scholarships to give students like Bailey the opportunity to succeed. Donations are tax deductible and Macquarie staff have the option of supporting via pre-tax salary donations.