10 questions with… Joshua Fitzgerald

20jun_10qs_web

Department of Chiropractic academic Joshua Fitzgerald was recognised with the 2022 Vice-Chancellor’s Learning and Teaching Sessional Staff Award for his dedication to creating an engaging learning environment for his students.

1. Something people usually ask you when they find out what you do for a living
I’m a practicing chiropractor and sessional academic. I am fated to a life of people asking me about their back pain, no matter the social setting.

2. Favourite piece of equipment you use in your work
I am extremely low tech but I enjoy adapting to whatever equipment or tools my students are using. A few weeks ago, I did go crazy and got my classes to blow up balloons to assess their lung function, to replicate spirometry testing. It felt a bit like a small child’s birthday party. 10/10 – will do again.

3. The first person you go to for advice
Dr Hazel Jenkins, Senior Lecturer in the Department of Chiropractic. That woman is incredible. She sometimes answers my questions before I even get to ask them – it’s like she is the keeper of all university-related knowledge. For over a decade, I have turned to Hazel first as she is prompt in her replies, will almost always answer my question directly, or will happily point me in the right direction.

PS – Sorry (not sorry) Hazel if you now get swamped with requests for advice, but it’s your fault for being so good at your job!

4. A personal quality you value in others
Curiosity.

5. Something you’re trying to do differently in 2023
I am taking more time to expand on the ‘why’ of diversity and inclusion. Macquarie University has excellent resources and training available via the Ally Network and Walanga Muru.

I’m working towards better contextualising the importance of being an LGBTIQA+ advocate and developing my students’ awareness of Aboriginal cultures. I am pleased to report that I think it is working. Pronouns are being added to email signatures, and students are including an intentional Acknowledgement of Country in their presentations.

6. A favourite photo from your camera roll

20jun_10qs_inset_web

My family are some of my best friends. These are just some of my siblings, including their partners and children. We were celebrating the holiday season at my sister’s beautiful home.

7. When are you at your happiest?
When I’m with my loved ones – my partner Jack, my family and my close friends. What we are doing rarely matters – the relationships are everything.

8. What did it mean to you to win a Vice-Chancellor’s Learning and Teaching Award?
I put my heart and soul into teaching, so it gave me quite the warm fuzzy feeling to know that my efforts were appreciated.

9. How has the award impacted your career?
Since winning, I have been invited to attend multiple learning and teaching events and groups, such as the 2023 FMHSS L&T Symposium and ‘Indigenising your Practice as an Educator.’ It has been quite humbling to appreciate all the incredible work that my peers are doing. Don’t tell them, but I absolutely plan on ‘borrowing’ their innovations and incorporating them into my own teaching!

10. Why should staff consider applying for the Vice-Chancellor’s Learning and Teaching Awards?
For personal and professional growth. The application process forced me to deeply engage in reflective practice regarding my own teaching. At that time, I don’t think I was aware of how beneficial this was, but it significantly helped empower my teaching and enabled me to better meet my students’ needs. I am also very grateful that the application process put me in contact with some of the wonderful humans within the L&T community at Macquarie.

Applications for the Vice-Chancellor’s Learning and Teaching Awards 2023 close on Friday 14 July. Guidelines, tips and FAQs can be found on the Awards webpage.

The Vice-Chancellor’s Excellence Awards – encompassing the Learning and Teaching Awards and Research Excellence Awards – will be held on 22 November.