10 questions with… Carlie Schofield

carlie_wp_1410x743

Carlie Schofield is a Yuin woman from the far south coast of NSW who has grown up on Dharawal country (Wollongong).

She has qualifications in Psychology and Counselling, specialises in Aboriginal social and emotional wellbeing and has worked in various settings but mostly enjoys working within her community.

Carlie works as an Indigenous Mental Health Professional and Cultural Advisor with MindSpot. MindSpot is a free, national digital mental health service for Australian adults who experience stress, anxiety, depression, OCD, PTSD, chronic pain and chronic conditions. The service provides free online assessments as well as treatment courses to help teach people skills to help manage their symptoms in a culturally safe and responsive manner.

Carlie has recently returned to studying psychology with the aims of becoming an Aboriginal clinical psychologist.

1. Something you’d like staff to know about

I often am involved in cultural awareness of staff and one of the most common questions is around feeling that Aboriginal culture is so sacred that they feel like it is too complex to understand.

The truth is that parts of Aboriginal culture is protected due to its oral nature and some of it has been lost to colonisation. But this doesn’t mean that you can’t understand or appreciate the culture. Often in Aboriginal culture it is about looking, listening, and learning from your surroundings, from your Old People, from nature. Being present and being connected will ground you and provide you with the answers you are seeking, and you will be more aligned with your purpose.
It is also important to remember that Aboriginal people belonged to the land – we looked after it and therefore it looked after us. That is why remaining connected with the land is so important for Aboriginal people.

2. Something you feel proud of

Recently I have returned to study psychology to further work towards being an Aboriginal clinical psychologist. This is very important work for myself, my family and community. I am the first in my family to go to university, which means a lot in breaking barriers and overcoming generational trauma.

Academia hasn’t always come easy to me, but I am passionate about psychology, and I know that my ancestors are always guiding me in this direction no matter how many times I have given up.

Recently I was awarded the Dr Tracy Westerman Indigenous Psychology Scholarship 2022. This prestigious scholarship is Aboriginal driven and aims to give back to Aboriginal communities by supporting the development of Aboriginal psychology students. Dr Tracy Westerman aims to build an army of Aboriginal psychologists to further address the escalating rates of Indigenous child suicides, which are now the highest in the world.
This has been my proudest achievement to date in being recognised for my work but also to gain further cultural support in psychology, which is rare to find.

3. A person you admire at Macquarie, and why

I admire Prof Nick Titov! I have had the pleasure of working alongside Nick for almost a decade and have learnt so much from him. He took a chance on me early on in my career and saw that I had a passion in making a difference for my community and supported me. I admire his transparency, work ethic, and professionalism – all of which motivates me to be the best. He also reminds me all the time to ‘celebrate every little win’, as this is what is going to get you through the challenging work that we do. And that looking after yourself is also important for longevity in working in mental health. He truly is inspirational and I am lucky to have him as a leader and mentor.

4. Something you’ve read recently that has had an impact on you

The last book that really stuck with me was the autobiography of the late Uncle Jack Charles. He led a colourful life and was loved by so many (including myself). It made me reflect and think about Aboriginal strength and resiliency, even though we all share similar stories of dispossession and intergenerational trauma. Being able to share his story with us was also a gift in teaching us about believing in ourselves and following through to make our ancestors proud of what they have sacrificed.

picture-1

5. A favourite photo from your camera roll 

This photo is my favourite from my camera roll and is my most meaningful photo. This is a picture of my maternal grandmother, Mabel (also my daughter’s name). My mother is of the Stolen Generation and was taken away from her mother when she was 3 months old. I encountered family through research in 2019 and this was the first time my mother got to see what she looked like. I remember printing it out and framing it for her as a present for Mothers’ Day and without a doubt I am sure it was the best present she ever received. Unfortunately, my grandmother passed when my mother was 6 years old, but this photo is our connection to her.

6. Your definition of success

To me success is living your passions and connecting with your power (feeling empowered by the work that you do). If you can achieve these things in your work, then I feel you never “work” a day in your life.

7. The first person you go to for advice (and why)

The first person I go to for advice is my mum. She is always my sounding board.

8. Where you live and what you like about living there

As mentioned earlier I live on Dharawal country and have mostly lived here all my life. I did try living closer to the city but always missed home. I would always come home on the weekends to be around family but mostly I just miss being close to the ocean. I am a Yuin woman, and my people have always been coastal people. So, I always feel more at peace when I am close to the water, probably because I feel more connected to my ancestors.

9. Something you’re trying to do differently in 2022

This year I am trying to practice more gratitude. For me I am always working towards the next big thing, and I am always juggling multiple things at once. So, for me it has been important to acknowledge all that I have achieved, personally and professionally.

10. I’m happiest when…

I spend time with family! I enjoy watching my two little girls grow and play together as I know this won’t always be the case.