10 questions with… Riza Casidy

Riza Casidy

Meet Riza Casidy. A football fanatic who examines consumer behaviour in a professional capacity but is happiest when spending quality time with his family (and checking football scores).

Riza grew up in Indonesia but did all his tertiary study in Australia – B.Com from Curtin, then B.Bus (Hons)  and PhD in Marketing from Monash. Riza joined Macquarie Business School three years ago where he is currently an Associate Professor and Director of Research in the Department of Marketing.

Riza’s research examines consumer behaviour in the business-to-business and business-to-consumer domain.

1. Something you’d like staff to know about
The Department of Marketing organises a series of research seminars and presentations where EVERYONE is welcome. Please join any of our research seminar sessions via Zoom or on-campus. Contact me for details: riza.casidy@mq.edu.au

2. Something you feel proud of
I am proud of the achievements of the Department of Marketing in recent years in terms of teaching and research excellence. A closer look at our publication record indicates that the Department publishes in high quality journal outlets comparable to other world-class institutions. So, kudos to all marketing colleagues for your hard work and achievements.

3. A person you admire at Macquarie, and why
My colleague, Mehdi Azam, the Department Administration Assistant, who works very hard to support all of us academic staff in the department to ensure timetabling and enrolments are done properly. Can’t think how he can handle those thousands of student and staff emails and enquiries but he always demonstrates excellence in everything he does.

4. What you need to do your best work
A supportive environment and clear directions from the executive team as to how we can contribute to achieve the University goals. These are essential ingredients for any organisations, and I am happy to say that Macquarie has all of these.

5. Something you’ve read recently that has had an impact on you
The Ukraine situation really has an impact on me personally. My thoughts and prayers are with all families affected by the conflict.
Professionally, this situation prompts me to think of research projects that would make significant contributions to making the world a better place. For example, my current research project examines how religion influences people’s attitude towards global conflict and their willingness to contribute to social causes.

6. Your definition of success
Fulfilling our life purpose and making positive impact to people’s lives wherever we are.

7. The first person you go to for advice (and why)
My wife. Because she’s always right!

8. A website or app you can’t live without (and why)
goal.com – I have to check the scores of my favourite teams every day.

9. A personal quality you value in others
Honesty.

10. Something you’re trying to do differently in 2022
Believe that ‘everything works together for good’ as long as we have the right response to situations. This year, I am trying to respond positively to challenges as I believe every challenge will help me to grow to be a better person.

11. I’m happiest when…
I can spend quality time with my family.