10 questions with… Penny Huisman

Penny Huisman

Penny Huisman from Student Wellbeing proves it’s never too late to shift your career focus.

After completing a Bachelor of Science in Architecture, and then a Masters in Museum Studies, Penny worked in the museum sector as a collections manager specialising in design and industrial history. She then decided to switch gears completely and study Psychology, coming to Macquarie in 2005 to complete her Honours.

After living and working overseas for a number of years, Penny returned to Macquarie in 2010 to work as a Welfare Officer and subsequently completed her Masters in Clinical Psychology. Many jobs later, including leading the Respect Now Always Project, Penny is now the Senior Manager (Interim) for Student Wellbeing, Equity and Inclusion. Despite her senior role, Penny reflects fondly on her early days working here as a student.

“My first job here in Campus Wellbeing in the early 2000s was a fantastic job for a student, and I loved working here. The Director used to take a nap after lunch, and had a fake cat sleeping on a chair, just to surprise visitors!”

1. Something you’d like staff to know about
Universal design! We are trying to think differently about the learning environment at Macquarie, and how we can create an environment which supports student access and wellbeing. Universal design in education is one approach. There’s a great introduction on the Disability Awareness website. And you can always talk to staff from Accessibility about this.

2. Something you feel proud of
I’m incredibly proud of the work the team undertook in the Respect Now Always project, to implement genuinely anonymous reporting for sexual assault and sexual harassment, and then find ways to respond to reports. The university sector really led the way on this, and Macquarie was a leader in the University sector! It really reflected the willingness of the Executive sponsors to support something that hadn’t been done before.

3. What you need to do your best work
Working in a team; one person can’t effectively work on complex issues. Working in a team, you access each other’s expertise and perspectives. It’s essential.

4. Something people usually ask you when they find out what you do for living
When I tell people that I’m a psychologist, they generally respond with either Are you analysing me? or, So, I had this dream the other night…

5. Something you’ve read recently that has had an impact on you
Run the Storm – about the disappearance of the SS El Faro in a 2015 storm. It describes, forensically, a series of decisions made by different organisations, at different times, which combined to create disaster. It’s a devastating read. I found it a great reminder to resist the attraction of simple explanations. Complex problems have complex causes.

6. A favourite photo from your camera roll
For about 12 years, we’ve been heading down to a national park at North Durras, near Batemans Bay on the south coast with a group of friends, and many, many kids (now teenagers). It’s a really simple holiday, but much loved. The landscape is austere, very beautiful, but hard to capture in a photo, so this was my last attempt.

penny-huisman_camera-roll-beach-pic

7. The first person you go to for advice (and why)
I have an external supervisor that I consult, to discuss situations that come up in my work. After talking something through with her, I feel like knotty hair that’s been uncombed. Still lots of strands, but orderly!

8. A personal quality you value in others
The ability to ask good questions.

9. Something you’re trying to do differently in 2022
Keep my exercise regime going. Mundane, I know!

10. I’m happiest when…
I’m pottering in the garden, watching the bees.