No tower’s no barrier: campaign challenges supporters to do #1504forMND

mnd_web

November is normally the month that sees hundreds of firefighters climbing the 1504 steps of Sydney Tower Eye –in 20kg of structural firefighting gear –to raise funds for Motor Neuron Disease research.

Last year’s ‘Firies Climb for MND’ raised over $850k to support clinical trials at the University’s Centre for Motor Neuron Disease Research. Over $3 million has been raised since the Firies Climb for MND began in 2015, with the funds having supported two clinical trials, with a further fully-funded trial currently in the early stages of development.

simon_web2

Pro Vice-Chancellor (Higher Degree Research) Professor Simon Handley is among the Macquarie staff that have tackled the 1504 Sydney Tower Eye steps in full firefighting kit.

With a physical tower climb off the cards this year, the campaign’s focus has turned to what the firefighters – and us mere mortals – can do to support MND research at home.

The #1504forMND campaign calls on supporters to:

1. Register their support (the first 400 to register get a supporter t-shirt)
  2. Choose an activity related to the number 1504 (cycle 1504km, run 15.4km, walk for 150.4 minutes etc).
  3. Nominate three friends to take the challenge and raise funds and awareness for MND.

Participants can also dedicate a virtual step to honour someone that has been affected by MND.

The #1504forMND challenge runs through November and is open to anyone. You can follow the challenge on Facebook or Instagram.

Register, make a donation, or dedicate a step at firiesclimbformnd.org.au