10 questions with…Emily Cross

emily_scott_web

Q: What do you get when you cross a cognitive neuroscientist with ballerinas and robots? A: Emily Cross, Professor of Neuroscience in the Department of Cognitive Science, whose background as a professional dancer comes in handy when researching topics like how expertise is manifested into the human brain, or our brains react when watching performing arts.

Together with colleagues in the Department of Psychology and Department of Educational Studies, Emily is currently working on a research project to better understand what happens in the brain when people socialise with robots. View Emily’s research profile >>

1) In a nutshell, my job is…
To develop research projects that span social robotics, human neuroscience and art/aesthetics. I also lead a brilliant team of PhD students and postdocs, helping them build their own research careers. Additionally, I teach classes that cover these topics to our fantastic cognitive science students.

2) My definition of success is…
Having a job where you get to think creatively, work with awesome collaborators and students, travel the world learning from and teaching others, and share your work with people who might not come into contact with academic research regularly.

3) A person at Macquarie that inspires me is…
Even though I’ve been here less than a year, there are already so many! But one who deserves special mention is Chandi Jayanath, the manager and educational leader of Banksia Cottage childcare centre. My partner and I feel super lucky that our one-year-old son got a place at Banksia, and that is largely because of the warmth, competence, and enthusiasm Chandi exudes in droves – she is a world-class professional and Macquarie is lucky to have her!

4) This year I want to…
Run the New York City Marathon. I finally have a place to run, which is very exciting as it’s the 50th anniversary of the race and will be my 10th marathon. Here’s hoping November’s weather in NYC isn’t too unkind this year.

5) The scariest thing I’ve ever done is…
Go for a very quick dip in the Antarctic Ocean amidst a herd of cantankerous Antarctic fur seals. I was a wimp and just ran in, dived under the water, and then scrambled out of the frigid waters as fast as I could, but some other dude donned a wetsuit and swam a few lengths, pursued by a belligerent bull seal. No thanks!

6) As a kid, I was…
Obsessed with Australia! Seriously. I had to write an essay when I was 10 and growing up in small-town Ohio on the topic of what my life would look like in 2020. I wrote that I would be a vet living in a treehouse in the Tasmanian bush and would travel to Hobart on the weekends to do stand-up comedy. The dreams of the young…!

7) My guilty pleasure is…
An endless appetite for fresh sourdough bread and pungent olive oil. And sure, add a glass of a big, bold Barossa Valley shiraz to the table too, and I won’t complain.

8) I’m scared of…
All the fauna that can kill you here Australia. My partner and I met our first huntsman when driving to campus last week – let’s just say we are lucky that it was only a ‘small’ one and there wasn’t so much traffic when it came out to say hello from under the sun visor!

9) I’m happiest when…
Swimming in the clear blue sunshine in Macquarie’s 50m pool, or taking my baby swimming at the pool or beach.

10) If I had the day off today, you would find me…
Baking cinnamon rolls from scratch in the morning, and then trekking out to the coast to explore one of Sydney’s ocean pools.