10 questions with Zara Crichton

zc_web

As Executive Director of Venture Café Sydney, Zara is focused on connecting meaningful ideas to people who can make things happen.

As a start-up founder – both failed and successful – she knows that providing a support system for innovators of all backgrounds and identities will foster relationships that increase an individual’s access to resources such as capital, talent and ideas.

Zara collaborates with world-class businesses and institutions to improve open collaboration and broaden participation in the innovation ecosystem. Her professional experience encompasses leading companies such as; Connect Macquarie Park, Macquarie Bank, Consolidated Press Holdings, Warner Bros and Pixar. 

(1) In a nutshell, my job is to…
Connect un-likeminded people to make things happen.

(2) The question I hear most often in my work is…
“Why didn’t I know about this place before?” “You do this every week?” “I can come and connect creators, investors and innovators here in Macquarie Park for free?”

That’s right, Thursday Gatherings happen each week from 3-8pm and are free. Each Venture Café in the global network offers high-touch programming tailored to the needs of the area – meaning it fosters a very close relationship with clients.

(3) The thing I find most rewarding in my role is…
Truthfully, my most rewarding moments are also my most terrifying moments – like when a member of the Venture Café community comes up and tells me they’ve quit their job to pursue their dream. Life without a safety net can be scary but also rewarding. My job is to ensure the community is there to celebrate and support brave people; to feel that safety net of friendship, advice and honesty.

(4) This year I want to…
Have more people experience the Thursday Gathering vibe – it’s hard to explain. Just come check it out for yourself. Here are the details.

(5) The bravest thing I’ve done is…
To be vulnerable in a public way. My son Oscar was stillborn at 40 weeks eight years ago – no warning signs. My bravest ‘thing’ is to honour his memory by raising awareness every day of the 2200 families each year who are impacted by this in Australia. Sadly, stillbirths haven’t decreased in the past 20 years. The Centre of Research Excellence in Stillbirth is doing good work – check them out.

(6) A place that’s special to me…
Nature is my special place; surf, snow, rainforest or mountains. Going on adventures with my little family is truly special. And anywhere with my team, because they are awesome. Come down and meet Nathan, Jacqui and Christiaan.

(7) My mother/father always told me…
Live with integrity and honour. So long as you can wake up each day and look yourself in the eyes – then everyone else will too.

(8) My guilty pleasure is…
I love fashion. When I should be reading Harvard Business Review, I’ll be sneaking in a bit of Vogue instead.

(9) I’m scared of…
The increased sense of volatility in the world today. Historically, we live in the most peaceful era in the past 2000 years and we are able connect and be inspired on a global scale. Sadly, the pace of innovation neglected the health of the planet and now we are in a race to either strip the planet or restore it. I hope the latter wins.

(10) My hidden talent is…
Making films, ads and games. I was a digital effects producer in London, LA and Sydney for almost 10 years. I’ve worked on great films including Harry Potter; amazing film clips from Bjork’s ‘All is full of love’ and Madonna’s ‘Broken’; games for EA Sports ‘Supercross’; and iconic ads for Toyota and Telstra, just to name a few. That’s where my love of cutting-edge tech was born and I’ve been riding the wave ever since.