The House With All The Lights On

the-house-with-all-the-lights-on_1410x743

jessica-kirkness2Dr Jessica Kirkness’ memoir, The House With All The Lights On, tells the story of her grandparents who grew up deaf in a hearing world during the 20thcentury, a time when sign language was mostly banned.

The memoir offers personal insight into the struggles and adversities faced by her family, including the lack of adequate care provided by hospitals. Taking readers on a journey from her family home to the workplaces of research audiologists and back to England, Dr Kirkness visits her grandparents’ old schools and other family landmarks, discovering along the way how their deafness was deeply misunderstood. 

Dr Kirkness’ memoir is a lyrical exploration of family, identity and history, delving into the significance of being part of a family where profound bonds are forged through differences. The memoir captures the universal experience of navigating complex family relationships and explores the nuances of identity. It is both a memoir and a love letter to those closest to the author’s heart. 

“This book is incredibly dear to me as an account of my family and my relationship with my deaf grandparents. The combination of personal and political elements makes it a story I felt compelled to tell, and one I hope will resonate with others,” says Dr Kirkness. 

The House With All The Lights On can be purchased from Booktopia. Dr Kirkness will discuss her book at the next MCCALL New Book Seminar on Wednesday 26 July, 4pm – 5pm. The seminar can be accessed via Zoom (passcode 804121).