10 questions with… Brad Walsh

4-july_10qs_brad-walsh_web

Dr Brad Walsh is Chief Executive Officer and an Executive Director of Minomic International Ltd, a resident of the University’s new DeepTech Incubator.

The DeepTech Incubator builds on the University’s successful incubator program by providing laboratories, equipment and secure offices for biotech and medtech organisations to grow and commercialise their ideas.

Minomic is bringing to market a breakthrough prostate cancer test technology called MiCheck® Prostate, which gives a risk score for a patient having clinically significant prostate cancer and may reduce the need for prostate biopsies in future. The company has raised $28 million in equity investment to date.

Dr Walsh’s career in biotechnology began with a PhD in protein chemistry from Macquarie. He was instrumental in the establishment of Macquarie’s major national research facility, the Australian Proteome Analysis Facility (APAF), and was awarded a Eureka Prize for Interdisciplinary Research in 2015.

Something people usually ask you when they find out what you do for living
I often get, “My father, uncle or brother has a high Prostate Specific Antigen (PSA) reading but they won’t do anything about it – who can I send them to see?”

Something you feel proud of
The release this year of our first product on the market, MiCheck® Prostate, in both the USA and Australia.

Why you joined the DeepTech lab
I was already connected with the Incubator as a mentor so when I heard about the new lab spaces, it made sense to join. The DeepTech space has given us the opportunity to be with like-minded entrepreneurs and startups where we can support each other and share our learnings.

How has the move to the DeepTech lab changed how you work?
I’m more mobile – hotdesking and mixing more with our team.

What you need to do your best work
My laptop, a good coffee and a quiet place.

A website or app you can’t live without
Smartsheet – a cloud-based app to help me track and organise everything. It links in seamlessly with Outlook so I can keep on top of the too-full ‘CEO’ inbox.

A favourite photo from your camera roll
This is Two Creeks Track – my favourite bushwalk stretching from Lindfield to Echo Point Park at Roseville.

4-july_10qs_brad-walsh_inset2

Something you’re trying to do differently in 2023
Be more purposeful and focused about hitting the day’s goals.

I’m happiest when…
I’m enjoying a meal of tapas and red wine with family or friends.

Your definition of success
Making a difference to human health.