10 questions with… Rachael Micklewright

10-questions_4-april-2023_1410x743

Rachael Micklewright (she/they) is a PhD candidate in natural sciences and a Research Data Officer in Research Services. She has been at Macquarie for five years.

Rachael’s research looks primarily at medicinal plants and the molecules that give them their potency. Rachael is also involved in community capability strengthening – conducting educational events that increase the knowledge and interest of secondary students in the science of customary medicines. These activities also give Indigenous students and students from regional and remote areas leadership opportunities.

1. Something you feel proud of

Encouraging the love of science in school children through the National Indigenous Science Education Program (NISEP).

2. What you need to do your best work

A quiet environment with curious and kind colleagues.

3. The coolest bit of equipment you use in your work, and what it does

The coolest bit of equipment I work with is a nuclear magnetic resonance spectrometer. It allows me to understand how molecules are put together by manipulating the electromagnetic properties of the atoms.

4. Something people usually ask you when they find out what you do for a living

What plant is this? 

5. Something you’ve read recently that has had an impact on you

Hood Feminism by Mikki Kendall.

6. A favourite photo from your camera roll

This is a picture of some mushrooms (Lactarius deliciosus) picked by me and some close friends in the Blue Mountains, where I grew up. This photo reminds me of a simple meal shared with people I love on a beautiful day. 

20220416_saffiesrm

7. The first person you go to for advice (and why)

My partner – she is intelligent, kind, empathetic and won’t put up with any nonsense.

8. Where you live and what you like about living there

I live in the Inner West. I like living in a place where I can connect with and be part of my community, and where I am less likely to be treated poorly for who I am/the way I look. 

9. Why is Trans Day of Visibility important to acknowledge?

Trans Day of Visibility, which occurred on Friday 31 March, reminds us of trans joy and the tenacious spirit of our community. And it is a time to celebrate the many achievements of our diverse and vibrant members.

The gender diverse community attracts a lot of negative attention. This can leave many of us living in fear, with many more unable to live their lives as they would choose. Instead of focusing on the hateful opinions of a loud minority, this day is an opportunity to celebrate our diverse, vibrant community while inspiring hope, compassion and strength.

It is also an opportunity for allies to demonstrate that there are many people out there who will fight to treat us with dignity and respect, so more people can feel safe to live their authentic lives as they choose.

10. What would you like staff at Macquarie University to know?

Trans rights are human rights. You can find out more on TransHub and find information specific to allies here.

You can also access additional resources below:

• Twenty10 – Free and accessible support, services and training
  • The Gender Centre – Services and support for the trans and gender diverse community.

Ally Training at Macquarie is open to all staff at the University who are interested in creating an inclusive culture for the LGBTQIA+ community. Anyone interested in attending is asked to first complete Pride in Diversity’s LGBTQ Awareness Online Training. Both LGBTQ Awareness Online Training and Ally Training may be accessed on the staff development webpage.

All Macquarie staff are encouraged to complete Pride in Diversity’s Foundations of LGBTQ Inclusion, which provides foundational knowledge about LGBTQ awareness and inclusion. This self-paced eLearning module takes about 20 minutes to complete.