Vice-Chancellor’s End-of-Year message

vc_eoy-message_1920x867

As we approach the end of the year and staff commence well-deserved periods of rest, I reflect on where we were as a community at this time last year and how much has been restored since. It brings me great joy to know that my message this year may find you in one of many places of your own choosing, fully connecting to the world once again.

You may be working on our Wallumattagal Campus – the beautiful Dharug land that we are so fortunate to spend time on. Our campus has once again become a vibrant and welcoming place where our students and staff can feel a sense of belonging and a full appreciation of our collective as an institution. I am certain you have shared my happiness in seeing our students converging in the Central Courtyard this year, once again being able to enjoy the university experience in all its rich and rewarding facets. I acknowledge our academic staff for their continued commitment to teaching innovation this year, as we evolve to provide Macquarie students with a transformative learning experience that offers the best of both digital and traditional modes. I also acknowledge the outstanding results that have been achieved among our research community.

Some of you may be reading this message overseas, with the opening of borders allowing us to resume the international activities that are so crucial to us as a globally engaged research institution. I have been proud to represent Macquarie University on several international visits this year. Each time I am reminded not only of the outstanding calibre of people representing us in the global sphere, across a broad range of research, teaching and engagement functions, but also of how special a place our University is to return to.

A number of you may be reading this message at home, reaping the productivity and wellness benefits that have come from the implementation of our Flexible Work Framework. It is gratifying to see the positive results of the recent Flexible Work pulse survey and I am pleased that teams across the University have successfully refined their ways of working with balance in mind.

We have welcomed many new staff to Macquarie this year, including new members of the University Executive. I welcome you all and greatly value your contribution to our mission. Some in our community have found themselves in new roles or teams this year, as the important work of our Professional Services Transformation to ready us for new opportunities has been completed. In speaking to many colleagues in the last few months, I have noticed a feeling of great anticipation and optimism as momentum builds and we accelerate towards the delivery of our shared Operating Plan objectives. Our professional staff have excelled during the year with real purpose and dedication for which I am especially thankful.

Wherever you find yourself as the year ends, I am immensely grateful for your role in the University’s success. I trust you will take the opportunity to rest and enjoy time with your loved ones over the holiday period and wish you a safe and happy new year.

With warm good wishes

SBD

Professor S. Bruce Dowton
Vice-Chancellor, Macquarie University