10 questions with… Stirling Wright

10-questions-with_stirling-wright_wp_1410x743

Stirling joined the University in December 2021 as Macquarie Park Innovation District Partnership and Engagement Manager in the Office of Corporate Engagement. He has worked in a number of engagement roles across various industries including medico-legal, financial services, accounting and publishing.

One of the key facets of his role is to manage the University’s position within Macquarie Park Innovation District (MPID). This involves maintaining relationships with local businesses to create research and learning and teaching opportunities for the University, as well as bolstering employability opportunities for Macquarie students. Within the next 10 years, the MPID will be the fourth largest CBD in Australia, behind Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane. With such huge potential, Stirling is passionate about ensuring that Macquarie is central to this growth.

He is a fervent basketball fan and if he is not watching NBA highlights, you can find him at the local park trying to impart the same joy for the game to his two daughters.

1. Something you’d like staff to know about

The Corporate Engagement team has merged with the Research Partnerships team to form a new super team.

We are here to make engagement and partnering with industry as simple and streamlined as possible. From research partnering through to student placements and everything in between, the team is the centralised point for industry engagement and partnering at Macquarie.

2. A person you admire at Macquarie, and why

It’s a tie between the people at Taste Baguette for their almond croissants and the Lashings team for their top-shelf hot chips.

3. What you need to do your best work

A cup of coffee and an open mind.

4. Something people usually ask when they find out what you do for a living

“What does that mean? What do you actually do?”

Relationship management as a role is a bit of a Pandora’s box, but is something that we are always more than happy to demystify over a coffee.

5. Something you’ve read recently that has had an impact on you

I just decided to tackle Simple, a cookbook by Yotam Ottolenghi. I’m committed to cooking one new recipe a week, which has been fun so far. I’m also becoming great friends with my local greengrocer, as the ingredients I need are often unique.

6. The first person you go to for advice (and why)

I can’t really name one person. I rely on Google to answer life’s problems.

7. A website or app you can’t live without (and why)

The half price app. It showcases the products that are 50 per cent off at Coles and Woolworths. It tells you when to buy discounted laundry powder and I’m a fiend for half-price ice cream.

8. Where you live and what you like about living there

I live in Marsfield, a mere five minute drive from the University. You can’t beat that.

We’re a stone’s throw from Eastwood and its awesome food. I never pass up the opportunity to get some Jeans Chilli Chicken.

9. A personal quality you value in others

When people are generous with their time.

We live in a frantic world, be it work, personal or family life. I have always admired people who are happy to put aside their own busy schedules to support others. It could be supporting a colleague with a project, helping a friend move house, taking a moment to listen to a new idea or even coaching a kids’ sports team. We are all busy people, but those who are able to make the time to help or support others are the best people.

10. I’m happiest when…

I’ll give two answers:

1. It’s a Saturday morning and I’m on a family outing to the local (gated) park. I have a coffee in hand and the kids are exploring new things and expending boundless energy. Good quality family time.
  2. My kids are asleep and I’m cooking for friends and family. We are enjoying a couple of drinks and watching some basketball or playing the odd card game or two.