10 questions with… Hui Xin Ong (YY)

10-questions-with_hui-xin-ong_wp_1410x743

As a Research Fellow in the Macquarie Medical School, Dr Hui Xin Ong (YY) works on developing pharmaceutical and device technologies to treat respiratory and infectious diseases.

She joined Macquarie in 2021 and specialises in understanding the relationship between aerosol particles and the different biological barriers in the respiratory tract.

Her work translates fundamental science into models that can be applied to the development of more effective strategies to prevent and treat respiratory disease. With help from her colleagues and industry partners, YY is working to develop several state-of-the-art pharmaceutical formulations and clinical therapies.

YY grew up in Malaysia and migrated to Australia to complete her tertiary education. As for her preferred name, YY explains that it is based on the Cantonese pronunciation of her formal name —“Y Sum” — which is shortened to ‘YY’ for simplicity.

1. Something you’d like staff to know about

Together with colleagues, I am the founder of a contract research and manufacturing company that helps clinicians, academics and start-ups translate benchtop discoveries to clinical trial products with capabilities for GMP (Good Manufacturing Practice) manufacturing, research and development, and in vitro testing.

Editor: The University’s Commercialisation and Innovation team can provide advice and support around IP and commercialisation, including recommended partners.

2. Something you feel proud of

I won the Aerosol Society’s 2021 Emerging Scientist Award. It’s international recognition of the significance of my research work in the inhalation field.

3. What you need to do your best work

A cup of coffee or tea and a quiet room allows me to think without distraction.

4. Something you’ve read recently that has had an impact on you

A LinkedIn post about inspirational leadership and being a ‘Quiet Leader’. I felt it resonated with my own leadership style.

The post explained that a quiet leader is gentle, and often says the least in meetings, but can command respect. They do it by asking questions to show they care about what’s right for the people they lead, the organisation they lead, and the clients the organisation serves.

They are inclusive and embrace diversity to draw in the perspectives and voices of those who say the least. They are not there to be the smartest person in the room, they are there to inspire leadership from the smartest people around them and enable those people to perform at their best.

5. A favourite photo from your camera roll

Having a Piña Colada while enjoying the sunshine during a recent holiday to Port Douglas with family and friends.

2022-09-03-12-33-08

6. A website or app you can’t live without

Instagram. I’m not proud of it, but it’s my guilty pleasure. I scroll through pictures and videos of many things I’m interested in, including shopping, cooking, gardening and decorating.

7. What you like about where you live

I live in South-Eastern Sydney. I love that it is a multicultural community, is close to the city and is home to many cafes, bars and restaurants.

8. A personal quality you value in others

I believe honesty will go a long way, both professionally and personally. A person who is honest and straightforward can build relationships on trust with outcomes that are based on integrity.

9. Something you’re trying to do differently in 2022

Have a healthier life. I have been incorporating exercise into my weekly routine and dedicating more time to my wellbeing so I can be more effective inside and outside of work.

10. I’m happiest when…

I’m spending quality time with family and friends.