10 questions with… Rebecca Carr

bec-carr_feature

If you’ve had kids in childcare at Macquarie any time in the last decade, chances are you’ve met Rebecca Carr.

Rebecca grew up local to Macquarie University on Wallumattagal and Dharug Country and has worked at our Early Learning Centres for 10 years this June.

Most of that time was at Gumnut Cottage in the centre of campus, where she worked for nine years before going on parental leave to have her son.

Having completed a Bachelor of Teaching and a Master of Educational Leadership through Macquarie, she is currently the Centre Manager for the newly-opened Waratah Cottage.

1. Something you’d like staff to know about
Waratah offers casual care! Casual care can be booked on the day you require it, or prior if you have the notice. You can book in for just that one day or a series of days/time slots. It’s a great, flexible option for staff, students and members of our wider community. We offer full day sessions (7.45am-5.15pm), a half day session or hourly, for a minimum of two hours. Casual care is offered during school term periods. If you’d like more information about this service, feel free to call us on 9850 4680, or visit the casual care website.

2. Something you feel proud of
I’m so proud of our team at Waratah. The whole team works so hard to provide the best experience possible for our children and families. It’s a really special place to work.

We recently went through our first Assessment and Rating visit, and we did really well. The team had been waiting for more than a year for that visit.  There were delays and setbacks from the lockdowns, but the team took it all in their stride. I’m very proud of them all.

3. A person you admire at Macquarie, and why
Maria Bennett. I think I was 21 when I met Maria. I remember finding out she would be our new Manager all those years ago and I’ve been privileged to see what she has achieved in that time; how she has grown Early Learning and done so much to grow Campus Life into what it has become. I came to work at Macquarie and I had the great example of Maria Bennett to look to in my formative decade of my twenties.

4. Something people usually ask you when they find out what you do for living
How do all of you do it?

5. A favourite photo from your camera roll
This photo of my dog Lola, AKA ‘little baby’. She fell asleep and woke up when she realised we had food, not realising her lip got stuck on her teeth. She was so sleepy but wanted a snack. It makes me laugh every single time I see it.

lola-dog

6. Your definition of success
I always say you might not be able to change the whole world, but you can change your corner. If you’re making a positive contribution or impact to someone or something, if you know and feel joy, peace and calm – you’re succeeding.

7. The first person you go to for advice (and why)
My husband, Dave. He’s very pragmatic and excellent at cutting through the noise.

8. A personal quality you value in others
Humility

9. Something you’re trying to do differently in 2022
We’re getting back in the habit of going to different places, going camping or away for the weekend, going to local festivals and markets again. Things were so limited for quite a while so we’re building up the habit of getting out into the world again this year.

10. I’m happiest when…
I’m with my family.