Farewell Professor Möllering

farewell-martina_lead-feature

After more than 30 years of exceptional service to Macquarie University, Professor Martina Möllering has announced her retirement from the role of Executive Dean of the Faculty of Arts.

Professor Möllering has been a valued member of the University since her appointment as an Associate Lecturer in German Studies in 1991. Her achievements have been widespread over the decades, including Head of German Studies, Director of Higher Degree Research Studies for the then Division of Humanities, Head of the Department of European Languages, Head of the Department of International Studies and Executive Dean of the Faculty of Arts. She has also contributed to the reputation of Macquarie through her roles on Senate and several University and Faculty committees.

Professor Möllering has been at the helm of the Faculty of Arts for more than seven years. Her recent highlights include the redesign of the award-winning Bachelor of Arts degree and the opening of the new Arts Precinct. She contributed to, and increased the research profile of, the Faculty and simplified degree pathways.

“Martina’s contribution to the Faculty of Arts and wider Macquarie University community over the last 30 years has been exemplary. She has been a valued member of the Executive Group and can always be relied upon to make thoughtful contributions to its deliberations. She will be missed by many,” says Vice-Chancellor Professor S Bruce Dowton

“Anyone who has worked with Martina will know that she is an outstanding leader – she has clarity of vision, an ability to communicate and deep empathy and understanding. People who spend time with Martina inevitably become better leaders themselves. I am extremely happy for her as she moves into this next phase of her life, and also a little sad for the University and for our Faculty. That said, I think we can rely on her ongoing support and advocacy for quite some time to come,” says Arts Faculty Executive Director, Dr Neil Durrant.

“I feel very privileged to have been a part of this wonderful Faculty over the years. I have watched the Faculty grow over time, and admire the expertise, passion and dedication of all my colleagues which has led to outstanding results and a strong reputation,” says Professor Möllering.

“I am confident that the Faculty’s ascendent trajectory will continue with a solid structure and excellent leaders in place. I look forward to seeing the achievements the Faculty and University continue to achieve.”

Professor Möllering’s last day on campus will be 27 May 2022. Keep your eye on future editions of This Week as we look forward to celebrating and hearing more from one of Macquarie’s most instrumental leaders of recent years before she departs.