10 questions with… Lance Islip

lance-islip_web

With a name like Islip, you mightn’t think this man would be suited to managing workplace safety. But Lance Islip’s professional commitment to keeping everyone at Macquarie protected from harm, combined with his expertise in chemical and laboratory safety, and fieldwork and boating safety, means we’re all in good hands… and hopefully slip-free!

1. Something you feel proud of
I’m proud of the WHS Hub my team has put so much energy and effort into developing and the fact that it has been done in a collaborative and collegial way with the Faculty of Science and Engineering who continue to invest time and feedback into making it a success. As it is rolled out we are appreciating the feedback from all corners of Macquarie and will use it to help inform and provide resources for safety for students and staff alike.

2. Something you’d like staff to know
As we come to the end of National Safe Work Month, make some time to visit the WHS Hub – the one stop shop for WHS guidance and resources. We have advice, templates, matters for consultation and opportunities for feedback.

We’ve also  just released self-paced mental health and wellbeing online courses, developed by the Black Dog Institute and accessible in Workday for staff and iLearn for students. Find out more on the Hub.

3. A Macquarie person you admire
Sophie Curtis, Manager of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging in Campus Life. She embodies the Macquarie values of scholarship, integrity and empowerment as she goes about her work in promoting and educating the campus about the needs and value of our DEI community. Sophie has abundant energy, has time for everyone and doesn’t miss an opportunity to ensure no one gets left behind.

4. The coolest bit of equipment you use in your work
It may not be the coolest in the University, but gas monitors have always been a favourite bit of kit in the WHS toolbag. When they get noisy it’s time to leave the room!

gas_inset

5. Your definition of success
My partner and I do a bit of ‘guerrilla gardening’ on the nature strip and it’s a success when people actively walk around it and comment on how nice it is.

6. A website or app you can’t live without
The weatherzone app. I love watching approaching storms on the radar and working out whether our cricket matches will be affected on Saturdays.

7. What you like about where you live
I live in Harris Park, which is going through a transformation along with the rest of Parramatta. It is a short walk to public transport, close to the CBD, there are bike paths, parks, the riverside, new light rail and I’m only 20 minutes from campus.

8. A personal quality you value in others
Honesty. I tend to take people at their word and if they’re being dishonest, the lost trust takes a long time to regain.

9. The first person you go to for advice
Usually my partner because they have a different perspective on the world than I do and their ability to help me get to – or even identify – the point of the matter is invaluable.

10. I’m happiest when…
I’m immersed in nature – be it out for a bush walk, at the beach or in the garden. Also, any time spent with my two boys, anywhere and anyhow.