10 questions with… Laura Aubrey

10qs-laura_web

Not one to shy away from a challenge, Faculty of Arts Executive Officer Laura Aubrey took a leap of faith and moved halfway across the world from her native Canada to restart her career in an entirely different field.

Despite the global pandemic adding an extra layer of uncertainty for many people living abroad, Laura has continued to look for new opportunities for growth, such as her current two-year secondment in the Executive Officer role.

1. A moment you felt proud
Recently I was reflecting on my career to date, and my decision to move to the other side of the world. It has been a great experience, of course with its challenges, but I am proud of what I have accomplished so far here at Macquarie. I am thankful for the opportunities and supportive people I have met along the way.

2. A Macquarie person you admire
Martina Möllering, Linda Evans, Lynn Negus, Louise Dwyer, Payel Ray and Joanne Overall. They are all intelligent, successful, and hardworking individuals and I’m inspired by their dedication.

3. What you need to do your best work
A supportive encouraging team, delicious long black(s), laughter, greenery and a playlist that slaps. I wouldn’t say no to regular snacks either.

4. Something you’ve read recently that has had an impact on you
A virtual book club has been an amazing way to stay connected with my family and friends in Canada throughout the pandemic. I couldn’t possibly pick just one recent favourite, but here are a few standouts:
Greenwood by Michael Christie
Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami
Vita Nostra by Marina Dyachenko, Sergey Dyachenko, Julia Meitov Hersey (Translator)
Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi
Educated by Tara Westover

5. The most impressive piece of equipment you use in your work
I think we sometimes take for granted just how amazing our brains are. A bonus book recommendation: The Disordered Mind: What Unusual Brains Tell Us about Ourselves by Eric R. Kandel.

6. Something you’re trying to do differently in 2021
Relax more, worry less.

7. What you like about where you live
I live in the St Leonards/Crows Nest area – great vibe, great shops, and ample greenery and dogs!

8. A personal quality you value in others
Conscientiousness.

9. The first person you go to for advice
My partner. We have somewhat opposite, yet complimentary approaches to situations, so it allows for a good balance and to step back and see things from an objective perspective.

10. Something you or your team have recently accomplished
I’d like to acknowledge all the hardworking academic and professional staff in the Faculty of Arts. They continue to do such an amazing job throughout the pandemic – it’s inspiring what they’ve been able to accomplish despite the various hurdles and I am very lucky to be part of the team.