10 questions with… Tina Soliman Hunter

tina-soliman-hunter_web

So, here you are thinking you’ve achieved quite impressive things in your career and along comes Professor Tina Soliman Hunter, whose proudest moment is surviving a jump from a broken helicopter onto an oil rig in the North Sea, and living to tell the tale.

“Picture me rolling around on a helideck with a ruptured anterior cruciate ligament – not a pretty sight!” she laughs.

Thankfully the incident is a brief blip in an otherwise highly impressive career as someone who has straddled law and earth science to become a foremost authority on petroleum, energy and natural resources law.

1. Something people always ask you when they find out what you do for living
When I tell people that I am a professor of petroleum, energy and natural resources law, it is usually met by dead silence. Often there is no coming back from that. I am never sure whether it is the area of specialisation, or the fact that no one would even imagine I could be a professor. Either way, I am not offended!

2. A moment you felt proud
When I was appointed a Professor of Earth Sciences at Tomsk State University’s Biological Institute in 2019. The Russians rarely bestow such an honour on a Westerner, so it was a real privilege to be awarded this position.

3. Something you’d like staff to know about
I am the Director of a research consortium (CRENAME) that comprises primarily of Russian universities and Russian researchers. I am the only law academic on the team, which comprises scientists and engineers. It’s a truly multidisciplinary team that also includes people from Macquarie.

4. Something you or your team have recently accomplished
Wearing my other hat as an Earth science academic, I have recently published two papers that have nothing to do with law. As part of the CRENAME Consortium, we have published a paper on cleaning oil from aquatic sediments in Russian Oil fields, and another on microplastics in a Siberian River.

5. A person you admire at Macquarie, and why
Professor Vladimir Strezov in Earth Sciences – we work together in the fields of microplastics and oil contaminants, and also hold a mutual interest in hydrogen and lithium. It is excellent how we can work together in a multi-disciplinary manner on projects which include other Macquarie researchers and partners from Russia.

6. The first person you go to for advice
Professor Ross Buckley at UNSW. I was his Research Assistant 2003-4, and assumed he thought little of me. About 10 years ago, he would randomly send career advice, which I followed to the letter, and it worked. If I need academic advice, I go to him. He is currently my mentor for my Future Fellowship application, and he has promised to be brutal!

7. Something you’ve read recently that has had an impact on you 
elizabeth-macarthurElizabeth Macarthur life at the edge of the world by Michelle Scott Tucker – absolutely brilliant. I am a huge lover of Australian history and fascinated by women in the early colony. Elizabeth Macarthur fulfils both of these interests.

8. A website or app you can’t live without
Google Keep! It is brilliant for keeping all of those tiny titbits of crucial information.

9. A personal quality you value in others
Honour.

10. What you need to do your best work
Opportunity. The more opportunity I have, the more creative I can be!