Around the world in seven ways: Meet our outbound NCP scholars

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade has announced its 2021 New Colombo Plan Scholarships, with seven Macquarie students joining the elite cohort (beating our previous record of five in one year).

The NCP Scholar program is highly competitive, with recipients receiving up to $50,000 for an overseas credited exchange or study abroad program in the Indo-Pacific. Scholars also undertake internships, mentorships, language training and community advocacy while abroad.

Macquarie International’s Macquarie Abroad team was responsible for facilitating the Macquarie applications, with bespoke coaching and support from staff including Anna Amoranto, Matthew Monkhouse, Pauline Le Floch, Peter Hawke, Nicole Brigg, Tanveer Shaheed and Lucas Munoz Alvarez , as well as 2019 NCP scholar and Macquarie ambassador Nick De Bres.

The Macquarie International team is particularly proud of the diversity of our 2021 Scholars – among them are two Muslim students (one of which is the first in her family to attend university) as well as an Indigenous student.

Meet our 2021 New Colombo Plan Scholars

paulPaul Kaletsis
I’m studying a Bachelor of Arts majoring in Development Studies and Culture Change with a Bachelor of Laws. As an NCP Scholar I’ll be lucky enough to travel to Vanuatu, Fiji and New Caledonia.

In Vanuatu, I’m planning on doing a four-month exchange in the area of International Law and Environmental Law which I’m very passionate about. I’d like to intern at the Australian High Commission in Vanuatu, the Pacific Community in New Caledonia and also the Pacific Islands Foreign Secretariat in Fiji.

It’s hard to pick just one thing to be excited about but I think it’s the people I’ll meet from across the Pacific region. Anything you do in life is far more enriching when you have people around you to experience it with.

fatimaFatima Idaayen
I’m studying a Bachelor of Psychology and during my scholarship I’ll be travelling to Indonesia, Japan and Hong Kong. I plan to do language training, full-time study, and an internship in Indonesia, as well as in both Japan and Hong Kong.

I’m the first person in my family to attend university and I’ve never left Australia, so going to three very diverse countries will be a new and exciting experience for me

liamLiam Holt
I’m a fourth year Bachelor of Law and Arts student. As part of the NCP Scholarship, I have a 12-month program planned for Nepal then a two-month internship planned in Fiji. I’ll be doing six months of study at the Kathmandu School of Law as well as six months Nepalese language training.

For my internships I plan to work with the government industries in Nepal and Fiji to increase public sector engagement and involvement in the production of re-usable and sustainable feminine hygiene products. My program will help to reduce menstruation stigma and help close education gaps for women in emerging economies.

I’m really excited to have a full cultural immersion and take in the many sights, sounds and experiences. I’m especially looking forward to my time in Kathmandu – a true cultural and artistic hub of Asia.

sanaSana Ali
I’m studying a Bachelor of Social Science and Law and I’ll be travelling to Fiji as an NCP Scholar. In Fiji, I’m planning on doing six months of full-time study at the University of the South Pacific focusing on Politics and International Law as well as iTaukei language training. I’m also planning to undertake an internship at the Pacific Islands Forum Secretariat and a mentorship under the Australian High Commissioner to Fiji.

I am looking forward to immersing myself in Fijian culture, meeting new people and gaining valuable insights into foreign affairs within the Asia-Pacific region.

kyleKyle McIndoe
I’m studying a Bachelor of Psychology and a Bachelor of Law and will be travelling to Cambodia as part of my scholarship.

I’m planning on studying for six months at Paññāsāstra University of Cambodia focussing on criminal law and human rights subjects. I’d also like to do two months language training as well as an internship at the UN Office of Drugs and Crime and an internship at the UN Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights.

I’m excited by how unique this experience will be, it’s something I couldn’t do without the scholarship and I think it will give me a good grounding for my future career.

vishishtaVishishta Ramanathan
I’m studying Bachelor of Security Studies and Law. For my program, I will be travelling to Taiwan to study my subjects at the National Taiwan University in Taipei where I’ll be doing Mandarin language training. On top of this, I’ll be undertaking a mentorship at the Australian Office in Taipei and an internship at the Taiwan Centre for Security Studies.

I’m really excited to start my journey in Taiwan through the New Colombo Plan Scholarship, as not only am I learning while abroad, but I’ll actually be doing what I want to do in my career. Also, I’ll be learning, working, travelling Asia, which is so exciting and really a dream experience for any university student.

ryanRyan Murray
I’m studying a Bachelor of Law and Arts, majoring in Politics. I’ll be travelling to Fiji for study and a mentorship. If all goes to plan, I’ll also be doing an internship in Malaysia with the Asian Football Confederation and then heading to the Solomon Islands for an internship with the Pacific Games Council.

I plan to use sport as a tool to bring people together in my future career, so my application revolved around the power that sport has to bring communities together and break through cultural barriers.

I’m excited to meet new people from different backgrounds and experience the food, who doesn’t love food!

If you know of a great student who would relish the opportunities the NCP Scholarship program brings, visit Macquarie’s NCP information page program or get in touch with mi.exchange@mq.edu.au to find out more about the NCP program and other student mobility funding opportunities.