10 questions with… Saya Hussein

saya_web

Senior Mentoring and Transition Officer and Macquarie Arts/Law graduate Saya Hussein has been a member of the Widening Participation team since 2016. 

She is passionate about helping young people from refugee backgrounds overcome barriers to benefit from the transformative power of education.

1) In a nutshell, my job is to…
Support high school and university students from refugee and asylum seeker backgrounds to make the most of the education opportunities available to them in Australia.

2) My definition of success is…
To find happiness in the simple things, and to be surrounded by your loved ones.

3) A person at Macquarie that inspires me is…
That’s easy – Professor Anina Rich! I admire her so much, especially for all the additional work she does to support students from refugee and asylum seeker backgrounds through MQ Academics for Refugees and the Making Connections mentoring program.

4) This year I want to…
Travel. We’ll be able to do that… right?

5) The scariest thing I’ve ever done is…
Get caught in the fires down south earlier this year. The fires were nearly as scary as not having reception for four days!

6) As a kid, I was…
Always smiling, always reading, and the teacher’s pet in all my classes.

7) I’m scared of…
Flying! I hate planes, turbulence… all of it.

8) I’m happiest when…
I’ve got no pending emails in my inbox.

9) If I had the day off today, you would find me…
In the kitchen trying to learn some Kurdish recipes from mum.

10) The best thing about the Macquarie community is…
Our commitment to supporting students from refugee and asylum seeker backgrounds who come to our country in search of a safer future.