10 questions with… Anneke Rowe Courtemanche

anneke-web

Global Leadership Program (GLP) Manager, Anneke Rowe Courtemanche, joined Macquarie in 2007 and the GLP in 2008. She’s seen the program flourish over the years, with it most recently recognised at the 2019 PIEoneer Awards in London in the Progressive Education Category.

Of late, the GLP has shifted its focus to how students from equity backgrounds engage with the program and what we need to shift or change to remove those barriers for their success. We chat with Anneke about this and more.

1. In a nutshell, my job is to…
Oversee the running of the GLP, and lucky for me we have an incredibly capable team. My work is essentially a mixture of people, strategy and problem solving – I love it.

2. My definition of success is…
Our vision at the GLP is graduates having the skills, experience, and knowledge they need to be confident global leaders. My definition of success is every student having the opportunity to achieve this vision.

3. A person at Macquarie that inspires me is…
Oh, so many! I’m sure many people would agree with my first person, Dr Leanne Holt. Angelica Ojinnaka is an emerging leader, a young woman of colour, and a recent GLP graduate – keep your eye on her! Lastly, Lindie Clark. She has been an outstanding professional mentor in my career to date.

4. This year I want to…
Change a few habits. I’m reading BJ Fogg’s Tiny Habits for a how-to guide. I’m optimistic.

5. The scariest thing I’ve ever done is…
How about being an overweight and unfit 13-year-old having to climb a rock wall in front of your peers, and worse yet, your crush? Does that count?

6. As a kid, I was…
See above.

7. My guilty pleasure is…
My ridiculously expensive eye cream.

8. The most important thing I’ve learned in the last five years is…
It’s a seemingly obvious thing, but I’ve developed a good understanding of how your workplace affects your wellbeing. This is key to my own happiness at work, which flows onto my colleagues and into the work we produce and our impact. It’s all connected.

9. I’m happiest when…
I’m at the beach.

10. To me, the best thing about the Macquarie community is…
The collegiality. I find MQ a community which pulls each other up, connects people and keeps students at the forefront.