Five traits of great teachers

great-teachers_web

Whether you are a teacher at Macquarie, or just remember the impact a teacher had on you personally, everyone can agree that great teachers are worth their weight in gold.

It’s clear from the overwhelming number of students who nominated their teachers for an Academic Staff Award this year that our Learning and Teaching community is rich with ideas, innovations and passion for great teaching.

On 6 February this passion will be harnessed for a special event – Educating for Success: 2020.  This interactive conference-style event will bring together perspectives across Learning and Teaching – and the wider University community – to share best practice and discover new ways that we can have a transformative impact on our students.

Registrations for this special event close 31 January – make sure to register early and get it in your diary.

In the spirit of Educating for Success, here are five traits of great teachers – in the words of our own students.  You can learn more about the teaching approaches of these – and many other – great Macquarie teachers on Learning and Teaching’s new Educators of Impact website.

They care

Dr Amara Atif made a point of knowing us all by name. She was interested in our progress.

Edward Moore has always been there when I have struggled with my studies, taking the time to help me overcome adversities.

Dr Mirjana Strkalj is incredibly caring and uniquely aware of each student’s academic and personal needs. She has helped me achieve my best in a very difficult degree.

They’re ‘magic’

Roderick Smith breaks-down complex legal concepts and magically converts them into understandable information.

Mathew Mansour’s teaching style and engagement is amazing. His way of making us understand complicated situations to make it relevant to us is so great. 

Professor Mark Hancock explains everything so effortlessly and puts everything into context. 

Alexandra Bhatti had an amazing ability to connect with the students on a personal level.

Associate Professor Wayne Warburton had the whole theatre enraptured by his lectures. 

Associate Professor Naomi Sweller always managed to make three hours of straight content enjoyable. I have never had a teacher who has been able to do this before!

Associate Professor Tiffany Jones always makes two-hour lectures funny and not boring, engages EVERYONE in the content, surveys, up the front performances! IT’S AMAZING!

Dr Sonya Willis’ ability to deconstruct complex concepts and procedures then relay this information effectively has never failed to amaze me.

They challenge

Distinguished Professor Michael Gillings models strong, rational lines of thought to support his own views, but encourages development of students’ own critical thought patterns

Learning with Dr Susan Silveira is a process, she helps you to think critically and grow. 

Dr Kay Naumann wasn’t set in her ways and you could tell she genuinely valued self-growth and improvement as a teacher, which was really refreshing! 

Christine Mikhael’s genuine interest in our opinions and ideas gives me the confidence to speak up in class and not fear that I may be wrong.

They’re enthusiastic

Dr Bruno Buzatto’s enthusiasm for teaching is extraordinary! Which makes what he teaches feel authentic and all the more interesting.

The pure excitement and joy Joyce El-Hadded brings to the class… Her teaching style makes the class so enjoyable. 

I could tell Dr Ian Stephen was passionate about what he was talking about and had a phenomenal amount of background knowledge.

Lisa White’s love for English is infectious and it makes me want to try really hard so I too can be like that.

Dr LayPeng Tan is one of the most engaging lecturers I have had in my five years at Macquarie. I believe I speak on behalf of the entire MKTG696 cohort when I say LayPeng’s love for her work has driven her students to be passionate about marketing.

They teach for life

Dr Liza Rybak has a true passion for teaching and genuinely wants her students to do well. She encourages and inspires her students not only to succeed in her units, but to succeed in life. 

Zara Bending sees great qualities in all her students and dedicates her time to nurture these qualities so she can see us grow into successful professionals.

Dr Joel Fuller cares about not just how you’re performing at university but also what’s going on outside university, incorporating a holistic teaching approach. 

Carin Hurwitz is an amazing teacher who doesn’t only teach as a job, but impacts students’ futures. 

I will never forget for the rest of my life that Lisa Bonnici incentivised me to do well and wanted all of us to succeed.

Register for Educating for Success: 2020, 6 February 2020

Watch What makes a teacher great – filmed and produced by SBS Media Mentorship students