Book Week: Staff share their childhood favourites

book-week_web

If you’re a parent of young children, you probably know it’s Children’s Book Week this week.

And although we might grumble through the late-night book parade costume creation, we also stop to appreciate the importance of reading and the transformative power of books throughout our lives – as reflected in this year’s Children’s Book Week theme, ‘Reading is my secret power’.

We asked some well-known Macquarie staff to share (1) a favourite childhood book and (2) a book on their shelf that gives them ‘secret power’.

Professor S Bruce Dowton
Vice-Chancellor

magic-pudding_150x200The Magic Pudding. The combination of Norman Lindsay’s wonderful story and his enduring illustrations including on the cover is indelibly imprinted as a childhood memory. In reflecting over the years on why this is so for me, I think it is the combination of the quintessentially Australian characters, a storyline of going out in search of adventure in a wider world, the repeated attempts to thwart the travellers’ progress and eventual achievement to a state of personal satisfaction.

lanterns_150x200Lanterns – Mentors in My Life by Marian Wright Edelman. In this treasured volume, the African-American lawyer and founder/CEO of the American organization, the Children’s Defense Fund (a Washington DC based organisation established to lobby for and defend the rights of children in American society, as they do not vote) details her early life experiences with her mentors. For me, this frames the absolute importance of how the small number of mentors have helped me along my own personal and professional journey.  I remind myself regularly of her writings when I contemplate the notion of personal gratitude and when I step into a role of being a mentor for Macquarie students and staff.

Professor Dominique Parrish
Pro Vice-Chancellor (Learning and Teaching)

naughtiest-girl_150x200The Naughtiest Girl in the School series by Enid Blyton. I think I loved the restorative justice that was portrayed, with students helping a very spoilt, naughty, only child to flourish in a boarding school and become an exemplary student who ends up as a school monitor.

developing-ei_150x200Developing Emotionally Intelligent Leadership in Higher Education. It’s a book that I have had published, so most of the secret power comes from the sense of achievement that I finished this endeavour! It reminds me that Emotional intelligence (EI) is strongly linked to effective leadership in the higher education setting. And that there is a link between EI, leadership and job satisfaction so making the effort to be an emotionally intelligent leader can enhance job satisfaction.

Professor Marc De Vos
Dean, Macquarie Law School

around-the-world-in-80-days_150x200Jules Verne and Karl May – their books transported me to another time and into many adventures.

my-early-life_winston-churchill_150x200Biographies of Winston Churchill – resilience, grit, never give up. Whenever you think life is hard, think about life then and about the challenges he, and humanity, faced back then.

Jennifer Bremner
Manager, Library Planning and Administration

mists_150x200As a teenager, I loved The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley.  I loved it because it was a bit forbidden – when I borrowed it, the librarian made sure my Mum knew I had it and that it was ‘a bit racy’.  I also loved it because it was the first book for me that challenged an established story – the Arthurian legend – and presented gender and religion in ways that, at 14, I had never considered.  I still have a copy today and it is the only library book I have ever been tempted to steal.

mindfulness_150x200Mindfulness in Plain English by Henepola Gunaratana. This book has refreshed my meditation practice and gives me ‘secret power’ by reminding me that mindfulness, compassion, focus and kindness are achievable even in a hectic life.

My mantra about books and the secret powers they hold is: “The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.” – Dr. Seuss

The reading experts

Every day, Macquarie is helping children and adults discover the power of reading. The Macquarie University Reading Clinic is transforming lives by providing intervention for people with reading and spelling difficulties, while researchers in the Macquarie University Centre for Reading are making new discoveries about how we learn to read, and how we can treat reading disorders.

Professor Genevieve McArthur
Director, Reading Clinic and Organisational Director, Macquarie University Centre for Reading

the-secret-garden_150x200The Secret Garden by Frances Burnett. I liked this book because it was a rags-to-riches kind-of story, but with happiness instead of money. Two young children and a garden ­­– all neglected and lonely – who found each other and discovered that the best way to happiness is by supporting others, and letting them support you.

the-daily-stoic_150x200The Daily Stoic by Ryan Holiday. It provides modern interpretations of the teaching of the ancient Stoics who aimed to improve people’s lives by reflecting on what is (and is not) important, and what should (and should not) be acted upon, and how. It was thousands of years ahead of all the self-help books that people buy today.

Distinguished Professor Anne Castles
Scientific Director, Macquarie University Centre for Reading

Read Anne’s recent interview in the Sydney Morning Herald: ‘New chapter in teaching children to read

heidi_150x200I loved Heidi by Johanna Spyri. Unlike many kids, I was never interested in fantasy books as a child – I wanted to read stories about real families, relishing in simple pleasures. I loved the detailed minutae of Heidi’s daily life in the Swiss Alps with her grandfather. And of course, when fresh mountain air and lots of bread and cheese made a girl in a wheelchair get up and walk again, that was the icing on the cake!

the-man-who-mistook-his-wife_150x200Oliver Sachs’ The Man Who Mistook his Wife for a Hat inspired my interest in the mind and brain and I still pick it up quite often. I am continually fascinated by the way the mind works and ­– in the cases of neurological disorders covered in the book – the very specific ways in which it breaks down. Although in some ways these cases are sad, I nevertheless find the book empowering: it reminds me of the wonder of what I do for a living, and of how fortunate I am to be able to learn more about the mind every day and use that knowledge to help others.