10 questions with… Melissa Ryan

mr_web

We meet Macquarie’s new Director of Incubation and Entrepreneurship, Melissa Ryan. 

(1) In a nutshell, my job is to…
Build a strong vibrant and engaged innovation ecosystem at Macquarie University.

(2) The question I hear most often in my work is…
Can you review my pitch deck?

(3) The thing I find most rewarding in my role is…
Seeing start-ups go on to successfully build scaling business and deliver impact by solving the “Big Problems”.

(4) This year I want to…
Continue to build Macquarie University’s entrepreneurial offerings for our students, researchers, and the wider community who are interested in innovation, impact, disruption and change.

(5) The bravest thing I’ve done is…
I’m not sure it was brave, but was definitely terrifying: Went flying in a four-seater plane with my friend’s newly acquired boyfriend who thought it was funny to cut the engine while in flight and kick start it again – after doing this three times, we eventually landed safely at the airport. Needless to say, I never flew again with that lunatic!

(6) A place that’s special to me is…
The beach and anywhere where there is water. I’m a lifesaver’s daughter so I spent all my childhood summers at the beach and in the water.

(7) My mother/father always told me…
Be kind, be brave and always give your guests a meal to remember.

(8) My guilty pleasure is…
Oysters.

(9) My hidden talent is…
Playing the clarinet and violin.

(10) A moment I’ll always remember is…
The birth of my children.

Discover what’s on at the Macquarie University Incubator.