10 questions with… Rebecca Bull

rebecca-bull_web

Professor Rebecca Bull recently joined the Faculty of Human Sciences as a Professor of Numeracy in the Department of Educational Studies.

Originally hailing from the UK, Rebecca’s research draws on a number of disciplines ­– including education, cognitive science and psychology – to better understand the typical and atypical development of numeracy and cognitive skills in children, and how educators can best support this development.

1) The thing I find most rewarding in my role is…
Seeing students and research staff proactively engage in research because they WANT to, not because they HAVE to.

2) The question I hear most often in my work is…
Are you analysing me? (when you tell them you are a psychologist).

3) My mother/father always told me…
Be polite, and never jump the queue (very British!)

4) My guilty pleasure is…
Watching Great British Bake Off.

5) This year I want to…
Grow more veggies and transition into a more sustainable lifestyle.

6) My hidden talent is…
Sailing – I am a certified bareboat skipper, but have only had a few opportunities to put my skills into practice. Anyone looking for novice competent crew for their yacht…..?

7) The bravest thing I’ve done is…
A night dive in an unexpectedly fast current.

8) Something I’ve never done but wanted to try is…
A very long distance multi-day walk, preferably accompanied by a dog.

9) A place that’s special to me is…
A little beach in the Philippines with basic accommodation, wonderful sunsets, a house reef for snorkelling and diving, and great margaritas.

10) A moment I’ll always remember is…
Sharing wedding vows on a deserted beach in Western Australia, and then going back to our campervan for a delicious wedding dinner of canned chilli con carne.