10 questions with… Ray Laurence

ray-laurence_web

You mightn’t know it just by looking at him, but Professor Ray Laurence is a YouTube sensation. His animated videos on life in Ancient Rome have amassed millions of views, giving students all over the world a taste of what their lives would be like if they lived in 73AD.

‘A glimpse of teenage life in Ancient Rome’, which currently has over 8.7 million views on YouTube. The concept was specifically developed to encourage more young males – including Professor Laurence’s own sons – to study ancient history.  

1) In a nutshell, my job is to…
Promote the study and better understanding of the history of ancient Rome.

2) The question I hear most often in my work is…
How did you end up making the cartoons?  I’ve been asked so many times now that I’ve written about this in blogs and as a chapter in Teaching Classics with Technology, just so that this question is answered once and for all!

⊕ Learn more: Professor Laurence chats to The Lighthouse about digitisation of historical resources in the Leading Lights podcast >>

3) The thing I find most rewarding in my role…
Working with PACE students to create a new research platform on the city of Rome.  Academia tends to undervalue the potential of students to undertake research, but the potential of undergraduates to initiate research, scope new projects, and to consider alternatives to existing interpretations is immense.

4) A place that’s special to me is…
The Markets of Trajan in Rome – a site few tourists venture into.  Yet, it lies right in the middle of Rome with wonderful views across the city and, through the rebuilding/restoration of much of the markets, it is possible to imagine the streets of ancient Rome there. There are even game-boards from almost 2000 years ago scratched onto the paving stones in the middle of the street.

5) This year I want to…
Achieve a better work-life balance.

6) The bravest thing I’ve done is…
Sitting at my son’s hospital bed when he was in intensive care.

7) I’m scared of…
Being unable to find the right room in most university buildings, especially when they turn into a labyrinth of misnumbered rooms and mezzanines and I am both lost and late to teach a class.

8) My guilty pleasure is…
Red wine.

9) My hidden talent is…
Finding new ways to drop my mobile phone.

10) A moment I’ll always remember is…
Getting on the plane at London Heathrow with a one-way ticket to Sydney in 2017.