Macquarie: Supporting the Sydney Writers’ Festival 22-28 May

swf_feature

Macquarie University once again is a major sponsor of the annual Sydney Writers’ Festival (SWF) with our staff featuring alongside some of the world’s most acclaimed writers and thinkers.

This year’s Festival sees more than 300 events at locations ranging from the heritage wharves at Walsh Bay on Sydney Harbour, the Opera House and Sydney Town Hall to suburban Sydney and the Blue Mountains.

Included are writers from diverse forms and backgrounds; contemporary novelists, screenwriters, musicians and non-fiction along-side leading intellectuals, scientists and journalists.

Dr Tanya Evans from the Department of Modern History is just one of a group of Macquarie academics involved with this year’s Festival.

“I love speaking about history with audiences outside of the academy,” Dr Evans says.

“I enjoy sharing the fruits of my research with diverse and usually enthusiastic audiences. These individuals often enable me to think about my craft in new ways.”

Another Macquarie participant, Dr Victoria Flanagan from the Department of English, says chairing one of the Festival events brings benefits to her role on campus.

“Being involved in the Sydney Writers’ Festival sends a whole range of positive messages to my students,” Dr Flanagan says.

“Most importantly, Macquarie’s involvement in the SWF signals to students that we are a supporter of the arts.”

The English Department’s Dr Stephanie Russo, who is also chairing an event, has been instrumental in the sponsorship agreement.

“The SWF is one of the biggest writers’ festivals in the world, and I think it’s important for Macquarie to sponsor the event because it makes us part of the conversation,” she says.

“Being there demonstrates that Macquarie not only offers degrees in English and creative writing but that we value the place of literature in contemporary society and we’re involved in all these exciting debates about art, politics and culture.”

Macquarie staff appearing at this year’s SWF include:

Dr Stephanie Russo:
chairing Natalie Haynes: The Children of Jocasta

Dr Alys Moody
chairing Reworking the Classics

Dr Rebecca Giggs
chairing Dreams of Her Real Self: Writers on Helen Garner AND Contemporary Essay: Personal and Public

Dr Victoria Flanagan
Talking Tough Topics with Jennifer Niven

Dr Tanya Evans
Documenting Hardship.

As a major partner, Macquarie University is proudly supporting all events in the Sydney Dance Theatre, ensuring they are free to Festival guests.

For first-timers, or those thinking the Festival is not for them, Dr Russo has this ‘hot tip’.

“Attend events with authors you’ve never read before,” she says. “That’s the best way to discover somebody new and exciting, or even discover something you didn’t think you’d be interested in.”

“Every year at the Festival I stumble upon somebody new that I’ve never heard of before, and those have been my best Festival moments.”

“Last year I attended an event with Paul Murray, whose novels I’d never read before and didn’t think I would be interested in, and he was just so funny and delightful I’ll now be buying every new novel of his for the rest of his career.”

“The Sydney Writers’ Festival is great at those serendipitous finds.”

This year’s Festival runs from 22-28 May.
Macquarie staff can get discount tickets when they book by using the promo code: SPONS17MU, and don’t forget, many events are free.

As a major Festival sponsor we’ve created a special promo, featuring quotes from some of our notable alumni, that will run before each event in the Sydney Dance Theatre.

Take a look…..